Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Pomegranates and Roller Derby

This time of year I sometimes have to look really hard for *heart flutters* to keep me going. This year seems to be especially tough for some reason. So I am making it a point to blog more this week in hopes of pushing me through to the other side!

This last weekend was full of firsts for me and I had a blast experiencing each one! This is just Saturday with Sunday to come soon.

I celebrated Christmas with my sisters (minus one since she had to work, and we missed her tons), dad and the nephews. I love to see those little guys and see how much they have grown since the last time I saw them. The oldest one is about to turn six and I just can't believe how big he is getting! Anyway...I like to bring him a little something each time I see him and this time I brought him a pomegranate. He was excited to get a gift but wasn't sure what to do with it once I handed it to him. I remember my Grandmother teaching me how to open one up and how to peel it apart to get the juicy ruby like seeds from the inside. So Grandpa and I taught Marcus how to do just that!


I think he enjoyed pulling it apart but he didn't eat too much of it. I think part of it was his attention was more on the presents in the other room other than the strange fruit in the kitchen. It was also a good thing that he had on an old undershirt since I forgot how juicy it can be and that it does stain! I don't care if he enjoyed it or not, I did and I opened his world just a little bit more!

That night we went to see Ali in her roller derby bout. OH. MY. GOODNESS! I want to go back!! It was probably one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I knew NOTHING about roller derby walking in to it and still don't know much, but loved every minute of it!

Ali was on team Ho Ho Hos and rocked the number 714 (for her mom and my step-mom) and her name was "Mistle Toes." I loved the names of the girls and some of their outfits. Sadly the Grinches slaughtered the Ho Ho Hos but they never gave up and rolled hard!

I am very proud of Ali for getting out there and trying new things. Of all four girls, she would be the last one you would think to participate in roller derby but she rocked it! I can't wait for the next bout this spring!

How was your weekend? Did you try anything new?

2 comments:

  1. This post had me smiling from the title and all the fun you had!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'd love to see a roller derby! That's so brave of your daughter to get in there and get involved! I love opening pomegranates and finding the rubies inside too :)

    ReplyDelete