Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I Want to Be THAT Kind of Teacher

As a teacher I often wonder if I was ever THAT kid. The one who won't stop talking. Who once the teacher says something, they always have a story or their mom/dad/aunt/uncle whoever also experienced the same thing. The one who just comes up and tells the teacher something so random and that has nothing to do with what is being talked about in class and on top of that they want to share when it is the most inconvenient time possible.

I think I probably was THAT kid.


That would be me!
Yet one teacher I had never made me feel like THAT kid. She made me think/feel that I was the most important person in the room at that moment. She gave me her full attention when I wanted to talk. I still remember when I got to be the line leader on the way to lunch, we got to have our own special conversation.

I am not very good at being THAT teacher. I want to be like Mrs. Hodges and give my students my full attention when they are trying to tell me a story. I want them to think that at the moment they are the most important thing in my life. This is something that I want to work on.

What brings on these thoughts on this random Wednesday? Well, I had a crap day. I didn't show any of my students today that I cared about them. I didn't give any student special attention. I failed at even coming close to being the teacher that I always vowed I would be.

It wasn't until reading that my attitude started to change. I pulled out a group's novel study book and handed them James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. I then told them the back story of the book that was now in their hands.


When I was in first grade, Mrs. Hodges read to us every day during our milk time in the afternoon. I remember every book that she read to us (another reason I think read aloud is so important) and one of the books she read us was James and the Giant Peach. I learned later in life that this is one of her favorite books.

By telling my small group of students the story from so long ago, all the thoughts and feelings from that time given to me from Mrs. Hodges came rushing back and calmed me down, changing my attitude.

I don't want to be like Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker (although truth be told, some days I am more like them then I care to admit!) I want to be like Ms. Honey (from Roald Dahl's Matilda), but most of all, I want to be like Mrs. Hodges.

Do you have a teacher that has influenced you and still does to this day?

No comments:

Post a Comment