Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Celebrating Past Birthdays

I am pretty sure that I haven't participated in Slice of Life since March  February. I thought about it several times, does that count? Hop on over to Two Writing Teachers to check it out.
Recently I started the third book of the Wings of Glory series by Sarah Sundin. You can read more about that here. They are WWII historical romance books and I have enjoyed all three thus far. If I stay up until five A.M reading again it won't be long until I finish it!

At the beginning of each chapter there is a date and the location of the character. In about the middle of the second book I found this date.

This particular date was my grandmother's 31st birthday. She would be about the same age as the characters in the book. It got me to thinking what was she doing during this time? How did she celebrate her birthday that year. Probably not with a cake, unless everyone saved their sugar rations and brought them together to make her one. I picture her now often while finishing the series and as if she was going through some of the same things herself.

I really don't know anything about her during this time. I think she was married about this time and assuming living in the North Fork Valley area. Was she working? What was she doing to help the war effort? Were any of her friends and family fighting in the war?

Why don't I know any of this? *sigh* Either I wasn't listening when I was told, or I never asked. Guess the plan now is to find someone who does know her story. My heart tugs that I am not able to ask her these questions. Thankfully I will see my dad this weekend and if he doesn't know the answers, maybe it is time for a coffee date with my aunt!


3 comments:

  1. It is funny how reading a book will make you reflect about events in your family. Good luck on finding out more about your Grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. I, too, have come back after a bit of a hiatus. Perhaps the time of summer can help with the routine of writing. I love how you connect your reading to your grandmother. Keep writing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only fitting since she help grow a love of reading in me!

      Delete